Green Bay & Western Lines
The East-West Short Route


What's New?
Guest Book

Did you know...

Reload this page for more GREEN BAY ROUTE facts.

Bill Christopher caught RS-20 #305 at the Norwood Yard office on an overcast April day in 1976.

GBW #305 Builders Photo:

Built by Alco in 1951.
The GB&W's four RS-20s started life as Alco RS-3s built in the 1950s.  They were rebuilt in the early 1970s with new 2000 horsepower V-12 251C engines from the Alco Engines division of White Industrial Power.  A the same time the short hood was lowered and made the front of the engine, as evidenced by the white "F" near the steps.

The RS-20s were mainly used in the yards at Green Bay and Wisconsin Rapids, and usually only ventured out on the mainline when traveling to and from the Norwood Shops for monthly service.

The freight / yard / dispatcher office was located at 503 Twelfth Avenue in Green Bay, right where the westbound yard throat crossed the street.  It was a great place for train watching because it was easily accessible and Norwood Yard was usually switched from this end.

Bill Christopher photo, April 1976.
This photo may not be reproduced without permission.

[ Top of This Page

 The Green Bay Route is maintained by Mark Mathu.
Visit the Guest Book or send comments to
Updated July 11, 2015