Green Bay & Western Lines
The East-West Short Route
 [Home]     Information ] Locos ] Rolling Stock ] Photos & Stuff ] Ephemera ] Modeling ] References ] Site Map ]
TN #105

Up ]


Information on Trans Northern #105.

This GE 60 ton locomotive was built in October 1937 (GE builders number 12237) as #105 for the Milwaukee Solvay Coke Company.  #105 was the last diesel-electric that GE built using an Ingersoll-Rand power engine and the only existing transition design between the original boxcab car bodies and the more commonly known "GE 44-Ton" locos.

It was sold to Miller Compressing Company in Milwaukee in February 1970 and operated by them as #105. The Algoma RR acquired it in July 1976 and planned to operate it as Algoma RR #105 on their excursion trips over the Ahnapee & Western.

With a simple hand painted "TN" on the cab sides it was used to switch US Plywood in Algoma while the Algoma Railroad operation was being put together.

The locomotive was on the Algoma RR only a few months when it blew the engine.  The cost to repair the ancient engine was out of sight and consideration was given to install an EMD engine.  #105 became more valuable as scrap for the cash-starved operation, and it was dismantled at an unknown date.

#105 was replaced by an ex-Milwaukee Road S-4 #818 (purchased in September 1976) which became Algoma Railroad #100.  It was used in late 1976 and 1977 and sold in October 1977, replaced by the #988.

[ Top of This Page

 The Green Bay Route is maintained by Mark Mathu.
Visit the Guest Book or send comments to
Updated July 11, 2015