Green Bay & Western #402 was photographed in front of the Norwood
Yard (Green Bay) turntable on October 10, 1938.
This locomotive was one of three built by Alco and delivered to the
railroad in 1937. Three more nearly identical locomotives joined
the roster in 1939. The locos represented the peak of steam power
on the Green Bay Route.
The coming of the diesel Alco FA-1 locomotives in 1947 bumped them to
way freight assignments for a few years before they were also taken out
of that role by brand-new RS-2s in February 1950. The locomotives were
then pulled from revenue service, finally going to the scrap yard in