|This four-span through-truss bridge was built in 1872 as part of the original railroad.
One of the major river crossings on the Green Bay & Western Lines was
over the Wisconsin River. The Green Bay
& Lake Pepin chose Grand Rapids (renamed Wisconsin Rapids
in 1920) on the east bank of the river as the location for their
Grand Rapids developed into the division point between the New London
Division to the east and the Merrillan Division to the west, and a small
yard and engine house were built here. The bridge was replaced in
the 1980s by a deck plate girder bridge which allowed more vertical
clearance for double-stack container cars coming from the Burlington
Northern in East Winona.
- Ice Jam (ca. 1906)
- Ice jam in the Wisconsin River at the Green Bay & Western
- Wisconsin River Crossing
- A four span through truss crosses the Wisconsin River at
- Wisconsin Rapids Aerial (ca.
- An aerial view of Wisconsin Rapids shows the Green Bay &
Western's bridge over the Wisconsin River.
- Farewell Excursion (1993)
Showing the modern bridge at this location.