Eastbound engine #10 waits for passengers to board a train.
This pre-war photo shows 4-4-0 engine #10 waiting with an eastbound
train at the depot in Manawa. Engine #10 goes back to the early
days of the Green Bay Route; it was built in 1874 for the Green Bay
& Minnesota. It was retired from the roster in 1923 along with six
other locomotives -- bumped from service by a fleet of heavier 2-6-0 engines
which began appearing on the railroad after the turn of the century.
The train is probably passenger
train No. 2 or No. 4. Number 2 traveled from Wisconsin Rapids to
Green Bay in the afternoon; No. 4 was the morning train.
The postcard was postmarked at Royalton, Wis. on August 12, 1912.
A thanks goes out to Scott Janz for sharing this postcard.