A postcard photo of Green Bay's passenger station.
In 1897 the Green Bay & Western began construction of a new depot
for the city of Green Bay. It was located at what was known as
Green Bay Junction, where the GB&W, Chicago &
North Western, and Milwaukee Road
lines interchanged about 0.7 miles east of Norwood Yard on the west side
of Green Bay. The large Cargill coal
docks were located just east of the depot.
When the depot opened, the Green Bay Advocate had this to say:
The building is a model of architectural beauty and one of the
prettiest little depots in northern Wisconsin. It stands out in
bold relief when compared to the old barns used for passenger depots
by the North Western and Saint Paul
The postcard view below is of the north and east sides of the
depot. The GB&W tracks are in the foreground and the C&NW
tracks are on the west side of the building. Check out the
horse-drawn cart in front of the depot! This shows how the station
looked when it was originally constructed; it was extended to the south
in 1912. Besides serving as the depot, the building was also the
headquarters for the GB&W's operations.
On February 11, 1977 the structure was gutted by a fire, the result