Locomotives were housed in this facility at the west end of the
A storm in the fall of 1950 destroyed the old GB&W Winona roundhouse; at
the same time, the arrival of diesel power on the railroad meant that the
western terminus of the railroad was no longer needed to perform heavy
maintenance on locos -- so the old roundhouse was replaced with this
prefabricated building for short-term storage of diesels and light maintenance.
The enginehouse didn't serve its intended purpose for long, since way freight
service ended on this end of the railroad in the early 1960s. In the 1970s it housed the Winona
freight agent, and diesel locos #310 and #314 were stored serviceable long-term in the
enginehouse in the early 1980s after traffic levels dropped and the railroad had excess power on the line.
building still stands today as part of Winona River & Rail's facility. The
structure was recladded in 2004 after salt stored inside the building corroded
the original siding.
photo, April 1980.
This photo may not be reproduced without permission.