|Leave Broadway and Wall Street with 1500 hp
Alco RS-2 built in 1950 for power.
Miles from Winona
||Mississippi River Draw Bridge:
||Built in 1891, this bridge is 2/3 owned by
Burlington Northern and 1/3 by the Green Bay & Western. This bridge
provides GB&W's link to Minnesota.
||The Green Bay & Western interchanges
with the Burlington Northern here. A depot stood at East Winona until
the 1965 Mississippi River flood, when it was washed out.
||The Chicago and Northwestern crosses here.
At one time, the GB&W operated over the C&NW rails to Onalaska,
where the GB&W operated its own 6-mile branch into La Crosse. This
operation ended in 1922. Here our train enters the Trempealeau River
Valley until we reach Hixton.
||Formerly a station on GB&W, no longer
listed on GB&W timetables.
||1200' siding. A depot stood here until the
||No longer a station on GB&W timetables.
||1850' siding, the former Green Bay &
Western depot still stands here but is now a lumber yard office. The
railroad maintains a radio installation here.
||2112' siding. Formerly, the northern
terminus of the abandoned Et trick Railroad, which ran 9 miles south to
the town of Et trick. An abandoned GB&W depot stands here.
||Located on the Trempealeau River, this town
is no longer listed as a station.
||The abandoned GB&W depot here is now a
feed mill office.
||No longer a Green Bay Route station. There
is an abandoned depot here.
||Terminus for May 29th excursion, where the
train will be turned. The GB&W and the Chicago & Northwestern
interchange cars here. The depot serves both railroads. The railroad
also has a radio installation here.
||We cross over the Black River.
||240' [sic] siding.
||We cross the Yellow River. This town is no
longer a Green Bay & Western station.
||Terminus for May 30th trip. This is a
division point for the Green Bay route, located approximately halfway
between Winona and Green Bay. We cross the Wisconsin River here. The
railroad interchanges cars with the Milwaukee Road, Soo Line, and
Chicago & Northwestern. The railroad has a 3-mile spur track here
which serves a large paper mill.