|The Green Bay & Western added 200 boxcars to its roster in late 1951
-- the first steel boxcars on the railroad.
GBW 700 to 899 were 40' boxcars built by Pullman-Standard Car
Manufacturing Co. The cars were mainly used to ship finished paper
from mills in Green Bay and Wisconsin Rapids; hence the message
to the left of the car door: "THIS CAR MUST NOT BE LOADED
WITH ANY COMMODITY THAT WILL RENDER IT UNFIT FOR FLOUR OR
This is the paint scheme which the boxcars had when delivered.
The "HOME OF THE PACKERS"
logo was added in the early 1960s, after the Green Bay Packers
football team started to get good! Around 1959 a few of these
boxcars were repainted bright red -- to
match the GB&W's locomotives -- but most of the boxcars kept the
original paint and lettering style shown.
Many of the boxcars were repainted yellow in the mid 1960s as the cars
were shopped, and the fleet left the roster in 1974 after 25 years of