|Builders plate from GBW #302, built July 1913 by the American
Locomotive Company in Schenectady, N.Y.
Locomotive manufacturers attached builders plates to
completed engines as a means to track the history of locomotives.
As a locomotive changed appearance or even owners over the years, the
builders plate would serve as a record of their true identity.
These plates were usually located above the cylinders of steam
This particular builders plate came from Green Bay
& Western #302, a 2-8-0 locomotive which was scrapped in 1939.
The locomotive was originally built for the Chicago, Peoria & St.
Louis Railway as #72 in July 1913. The CP&StL was a 400-mile
long Illinois short line. The railroad went bankrupt in 1921 and the
rolling stock was sold off and the trackage was split among several
railroads. The GB&W acquired three of the moguls - including
CP&StL #72, which became GBW #64. The engine went into
GB&W service in April, 1927. It was renumbered to GBW #302 in
October 1936 during a overall renumbering of the steam power.
The last days of the locomotive were spent on the Whitehall Division
before it returned to Green Bay on July 9, 1939. The
locomotive was stored for a few months and scrapped that September.
You can still see the builders photo on the side of #302 in a July 1939
photo of the engine in the dead line at Green Bay.