|Kewaunee, Green Bay & Western #309 represents an era of
transition on the railroad, at least from a locomotive standpoint.
Prior to the delivery of this engine in September 1956, the Green Bay
Route had dieselized with Alco model FA-1, RS-2 and RS-3 road engines.
This engine was the new Alco RS-11 model, and ushered in the
1800-horspower Alco "251" engine, a so-called improvement over
the earlier "244" engine.
These photos from 1960 capture the rare early years when the
locomotive had its original factory-delivered appearance. The new
"251" engine proved temperamental, and in 1964, the GBW replaced the
power plant with a second-generation 2000-horsepower "251"
engine, similar to what the railroad was using for its newest
locomotives. The front of the locomotive was changed from the long
hood to the short hood, and the short hood was lowered at the same time.
Deb Fifield took these
images #309 in Winona, Minnesota in 1960. She is modeling the
Green Bay Route on her Hiawatha Lines.