|Two shots of RS-2 #302 and RS-3 #307 together at Norwood Yard in Green
Bay, taken on the same day.
These are a great pair of photos that show all corners of the units, similar to a
mini-walkaround. This gives an all-sides snapshot of what these units looked like at the time.
In addition they give a good comparison of the
differences between the Alco RS-2 and RS-3 locomotives.
Although the two locomotives are nearly identical in appearance, each
having a smoothly rounded hood and cab, there are several spotting
differences between the Alco RS-2 and RS-3 locomotives:
- The RS-2 fuel tank was located under the cab, while the RS-3 fuel
tank was located between the trucks under the frame. This
results in a very noticeable spotting feature since the RS-2s have
much more open space between the trucks, compared to the
RS-3s. In the 1960s the GBW RS-2s had "belly packs"
added -- salvaged fuel tanks, air reservoirs and batteries from the
FA-1 fleet which were retired at that time.
- There is a small battery box on the running board just
in front of the hood on the RS-3s, which results in the walkway
stepping down beyond the battery box. On the RS-2 the steps up
to the cab level are inside the cab.
- The fuel filler for the RS-2 is on the side of the cab, as can be
seen in the photos where #302 is being fueled! The RS-3 filler
is on top of the fuel tank.
Unfortunately, the photo is undated. RS-3 #307 was delivered in
July, 1955. RS-2 #302 looks to be freshly out of her hood
rebuilding program where the louvered doors on the sides of the hood
were replaced by plain doors with a few large filter openings.
(#307 was delivered without louvers on the doors.)
An interesting side note is the checkerboard pattern along the frame,
numbers on the ends of the locos, but no numbers on the cab sides.
GBW curiously enough carried only the locomotive's number in the glass boards provided by the the manufacturer. Only in the early 1960s, when ICC regulations required it, did the locomotives receive yellow Scotchlite
numerals on the sides of the cab.
Alco built RS-2 locomotives from
October 1946 until May 1950, when they switched to the RS-3 locomotive
production. RS-3 production continued until February 1956, when the RS-11
model supplanted it. [It is interesting to note that -- after the RS-2s
and RS-3s -- the next locomotive on the GBW roster #309 was an RS-11, delivered
in September 1956. Had the railroad made the decision to purchase
power only a few months earlier, it most likely would have been an RS-3