Locomotive #301, one of four RS-2's on the roster, waits in Wisconsin Rapids
for its next assignment.
When this locomotives arrived in February 1950, it helped usher in the diesel
era on the Green Bay Route. Within months, the final steam locomotives
were removed from revenue service. The RS-2 fleet was used
primarily on local way freights such as train numbers 7 and 8 operating between
Green Bay and Wisconsin Rapids; mainline fast
freights were hauled by the FA-1 units or in later years by the newer Alco "Century" models. The
RS-2's were often
run in back-to-back pairs. The long hood was the front of the engine, as
noted by the white "F" on the frame.
This photo was taken on June 22, 1968. Number 301 had the distinction of being the last
GB&W locomotive to wear
the classic red-and-gray scheme as shown in this photo. It was repainted
in the all-red scheme during the summer of 1973. It was retired from the
roster in 1977 and sold to the Ann Arbor Railroad in 1979.