|GBW #102 in Port Edwards, Wis.
Alco S-1 #102 was a late arrival to the GBW roundhouse; the 600
horsepower locomotive was delivered in 1949 and was the final locomotive
on the roster to have a traditional "switch engine" appearance.
After the GB&W acquired several Alco Century road engines in the
late 1960s their fleet of RS-2s and RS-3s were moved to switch engine
status and #102 was deemed excess property -- along with the other two switch
engines that were left on the railroad.
Nekoosa-Edwards Paper Company was a willing purchaser of the engine to
handle switching chores at its Port Edwards, Wis. paper mill.
records indicate that the engine was sold to the paper maker in June 1968,
so this June 22, 1968 photo must show the locomotive as
it looked as it arrived on the property.
The engine was renumbered #12 and worked the paper mill until 1980 when it
was sold to Cargill Corporation and
worked the Mississippi River port of Buffalo, Iowa. The engine is
believed to have been scrapped although the date of its demise in unknown.